Over the holiday, some girlfriends and I were talking about our kiddos.
Nora came home from preschool one day after Thanksgiving with a sheet of paper starting...''The thing I am most grateful for is.....my daddy''
She's a daddy's girl, so I wasn't surprised. He is her everything, the first and most important man in her life. One day, I know Rich will get teary placing her hand in anothers....
Imparting this to friends, an older friend reminisced about finding a box in her attic with her sons school work. There was a sheet of paper, much like Nora's asking, ''What does your mommy do?'' His answer appalled her, ''mommy cleans''. Her advice, don't get too caught up in arbitrary things YOU think are important. That's what kids remember.'
The flight of the cleaning bee had just happened before this party. Spotless happens only when it has too.
Cleaning has never been a major focus for me. Organized clutter is a more accurate description of our home. Which makes it even funnier that my closest girlfriend calls me Martha Stewart, granted she is obsessed with cleaning and can't cook. Together we would make a pretty good team.
At the end of the day, all I want is happy kids and a content husband. Older mommies try to tell me I will miss the clutter of toys or finger smudges on my french doors. Maybe. Those smudges and clutter tell me how much fun they were having exploring.
Right now, there are smudgy chocolate finger prints downstairs. Sister snuck us our first chocolate. Big smiles with chocolate ooze. Giggles of sneakiness from my kiddos.
Giggle from mommy as I walk by and see the reminder to cherish this time.
No comments:
Post a Comment